Regulation of Food Contact Materials in the EU
EU Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004 and National Provisions
In the European Union, food contact materials are regulated in accordance with the general safety requirements stipulated by the EU Framework Regulation (EC) No 1935/2004.
The EU legislation holds specific provisions for various food contact materials, such as plastics, recycled plastics, regenerated cellulose film, ceramics and active and intelligent materials. For other types of food contact materials (i.e. coatings, adhesives, and paper) for which no specific EU measures have been introduced so far, a majority of EU Member States rely on their own national provisions on food contact materials and substances.
Our Services at a Glance
SCC helps to ensure the compliance of your food contact materials by providing support in:
- Expert guidance through the FCM authorisation process in the EU
- Compliance checks of products and ingredients
- Preparation of Document of Compliance (DoC) according to Regulation (EC) No. 1935/2004
- Development of registration and testing strategies, including coordination, management and supervision of testing
- Compilation and submission of registration dossiers to competent authorities at EU (EFSA) and national level
- Assessment of the safety of chemicals used in the manufacture of FCM as well as of NIAS (non-intentionally added substances)
- Migration calculation
- Negotiations with regulatory authorities and scientific bodies on behalf of the client
Please also visit our SCC headquarters website or contact our experts.